Why Choose Discovery Sea Kayak For Your Kayak Tour
- Quality Guides: You are assured to have one of the best trained guides on San Juan Island. All guides complete our in-house kayak skills training. Then guides complete a seasonal training course with top professionals in the field. Then all guides take a class at the local Whale Museum to be certified guides to operate accordingly around killer whales. Combined with a naturalist workshop they are highly skilled and knowledgeable.
- Gear: I can confidently say that we offer more gear and the best quality gear than any company on San Juan Island.
- Mountain Safety Research (MSR) 3 Person tents for every 2 people. We also have Single Person MSR Tent.
- SealLine Dry Bags for all of your gear.
- Quality Fiberglass Seaward G3 Passat Kayaks.
- Washington State made Werner Paddles.
- Paddle Tops and Pants and more stuff than I can list.
- Cuisine: Guides will prepare nutritional and flavorful meals. From Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner we make sure you are happy and well feed.
- Diverse Route Selection: We travel routes that offer you a taste of all the island beauty from West Side views along killer whale habitat to island hopping the East Side of the San Juan Island. Our goal is to provide you with an all round San Juan Island experience.
We truly offer the most outfitted Kayak Tours on San Juan Island.
The 3 Day Kayak Tour is the marquee camping kayak adventure of San Juan Island.
The 3 Day Tour is design for travel. The routes we select travel through well know Orca Whale territory. We hope that we have the opportunity to see killer whales while on the water. But we will also be traveling in areas that are less common to whales.
The reason we travel such diverse areas is to give everyone the chance to experience the beauty of the San Juan Islands.
Though an encounter with whales can be amazing. So can kayaking from island to island setting camp in a new area every night.
The San Juan Islands are home to lots of wildlife. It is not uncommon to encounter Harbor Seals, Dall’s and Harbor Porpoise, Bald Eagles and various other wildlife on a 3 Day Kayak Tour.
Discovery kayak guides are highly skilled kayakers with history and natural history training. Not only are the good on the water but they take care of you in camp. Guides prepare all meals in the field. The tours are self supported, so we pack everything we are going to need in the kayaks.
Days are spent traveling and exploring from kayak. We cross channels to other island and meander along the shores of the islands we encounter. We typically have a beach side lunch and a rest break mid day. Though we cover an average of 10 miles per day. The pace is always set to what the group is comfortable with.
Nights are spent camped on islands less visited by the general traveler. Camping areas on the islands are well maintained and provide a wonderful camping experience. Most camps will have potable water, pit/composting toilets, picnic tables and nice flat areas to set up tents for a good night’s rest. Activities on the islands range from gentle hikes, lounging on the shoreline watching sunsets to late night star gazing in the clear skies.
All meals are prepared for your with fresh ingredients. No dehydrated prepared dinners on this tour. Enjoy the guides culinary creations and their own signature dishes. We will have snacks along but feel free to bring a little something special for yourself. Breakfast and lunch are important meals of the day. Though they tend to be a little lighter than the dinner fare. But we can assure you that you will not be disappointed in any of the meals your guide will prepare.
If you are looking to do a little kayak camping, whale watching and other outdoor adventuring. This is the tour for you.
If you have a group of 4 or more you select any date on the calendar. (Subject to availability)
3 Day Tours depart every Friday starting May 17th
- May 16-18, 23-25
- June 2-4, 6-8, 13-15, 20-22, 27-29
- July 1-3, 6-8, 14-16, 18-20, 25-27
- August 1-3, 8-10, 15-17, 22-24, 29-31
- September 1-3, 5-7
Please contact us for other dates not shown above. Visit our custom tours page if you have a large party or looking for a private kayak tour.
Kayak Tour Includes
- All Kayak Equipment
- Werner Bent Shaft Paddles
- Dry Bags
- Fiberglass Tandem Kayak
- Kayak Clothing ( Paddle Pants and Paddle Top)
- All Camping Equipment
- Sleeping Bags with liner
- Sleeping Pads
- All Mess Kit Needs
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (Wonderful meals prepared by your guide)
- Highly Skilled Kayak Guide (Trained not only in the art of kayaking but also the San Juan Island ecosystem to provide you with the most recent information on the wildlife of the region.)
Day 1 (Check In Time 7:45am)
Meet at our store at 185 First St. in downtown Friday Harbor located one block up from the Ferry Terminal with a Yellow Kayak above the shop. Please see MAP!. Here you will meet your guide and discuss the kayak adventure ahead. You will have a chance to look at your route and this is a good time to voice any concerns you may have about the route. Dry Bags will be dispersed for you to pack your gear. Once all the gear is packed we will load into the Discovery Sea Kayak van and head to the beach. Kayaks will be packed with all gear at the beach and safety talk will take place before getting on the water. Your guide will lead you on a full day of kayaking along beautiful shorelines and across channels to visit the shores of various islands. Lunch break will take place on one of many wonderful island beaches. You will end your day getting camp ready for a great night’s sleep in the outdoors. While you relax, your guide will be hard at work prepping foods for dinner. You can either walk the trails, take a nap, or simply enjoy camp.
You will wake to a hot coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. Your guide will be working to get breakfast on the table for everyone to enjoy. Breakfast is a great time to discuss the days plans. Your guide will chat about the route for the day and entertain any feedback. We will take time to gather gear and re-pack the kayaks for another adventurous day of paddling in the San Juan Islands. Kayaking off to a new location and a chance to view eagles, seals, otters, and orca whales.
Day 3 (Last Day, Return Time 2:30pm)
This is the last day of your adventure kayak tour. Once all the gear is packed and camp is checked for any gear hiding in the grass, back on the water we go! As you glide out on to the water for a day of kayaking along shorelines with Pacific Madrone trees and don’t forget to look underwater for sea stars and other inter tidal life. Moving through kelp beds look for crabs and small fish as they dart for cover. This being the last day, you kayak to a location where the Discovery Sea Kayak van will pick you up, load gear and head for town. We try to get you back in town to catch any transportation (ferry , plane, etc.) off the island that you have set up.